Microsoft announced today changes coming to Windows 8 via a upcoming free upgrade. The Windows 8.1 upgrade is the largest update made available since the Windows 8 launch and its clear the powers that be have been listening to customer feedback. Added capabilities include:
- Personalization – Further lock screen personalization, more colors and motion backgrounds to customize the start screen, and added abilities to filter how apps are sorted and viewed.
- Search – the Search charm provides global search results via Bing in an easy to read view of many content sources including apps, web, files, and SkyDrive.
- Apps and the Windows Store – Both Photo and Music apps are redesigned. Variable, continuous size of snap views are now available. Categories are now listed with other app commands amidst the store.
- Cloud connectivity – The SkyDrive app has been revamped in Windows 8.1 and access to files that are stored either on the cloud or locally on the device is more convenient.
- Internet Explorer 11 – Included with the upgrade and will bring better touch performance, improved page load times and several other features.
- Improved support for keyboard and mouse